Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The ART of French Onion Soup

Making this soup IS an ART! When you experience a true classic such as a bowl of French Onion Soup everything else doesn't matter. The aroma of garlic and onions slowly carmelizing together filtering through the air sends you! Scents of Old Quebec or a small country bistro in Provence plays into the mind....the smells is divine!

French Onion Soup


This winter I have been experimenting on getting it right. The first episode was an edible disaster because I didn't have all the ingredients on hand and tried to substitute with spices I thought were in line to the original recipe. Well, think again, it doesn't work that way for everything. Lesson learned! You really need to be organized so tonight I was well prepared making sure I had all the ingredients ready to go.

French Onion Soup


I used a recipe similar to Martha Stewarts that I've included. This recipe does take a little bit to make, but it is well worth it. I serevd the soup with grilled steak and a salad of fresh greens and tomato with a light balsamic vinegarette. The soup is hearty and would have been plenty on it's own. Oh, well... another lesson learned. Isn't that was life is all about?


Steak & French Onion Soup



Classic French Onion Soup

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 pounds (2 or 3 large) yellow onions, sliced ¼" thick
3 to 4 cloves of garlic
1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
¾ cup dry red wine
3 ½ cups Homemade Beef or Veal Stock
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 small baguette, sliced into ½-inch pieces
1 ½ cups grated regular Gruyère
1 ½ cups grated smoked Gruyère

Directions:
Melt butter in a large Dutch oven on medium - medium-low heat.
Add garlic and onions, spreading them out in as thin a layer as possible.
Sprinkle with sugar, and cook, stirring just as needed to keep onions from sticking, until they are soft, golden brown, and just starting to caramelize - about 1 hour.
Sprinkle flour over onions, and stir to coat.
Cook flour for about 5 minutes. Add wine, stock, and thyme, and bring to a simmer.
Cook, partially covered, for about 30 minutes, to allow the flavors to combine.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, lightly toast at least 8 slices of bread under a broiler or in the toaster and set aside.
Ladle hot soup into four ovenproof bowls and arrange on a sturdy baking sheet.
Place 2 -3 slices (depending on size) of toasted bread over each bowl of soup.
Mix together the two grated cheeses and sprinkle ¾ cup over bread in each bowl.
Place soup bowls under the broiler until cheese is melted and crusty brown around the edges.
Watch carefully that bread doesn’t burn.
Serve immediately.
I find this soup to be both rustic and elegant...easy to make and delicious to indulge in.

No comments: