Monday, July 5, 2010

The Storm of Art

Summer has finally blessed us with an amazing heat wave that should stick around for a couple of weeks. You can hear people start to complain. I'm not sure why, but Canadians love to talk about weather. I wonder if Americans are as obsessed about their weather as we are?

On any given day you can walk into the supermarket or the bank and the first thing people greet you with is: "Sure is hot today!" or "Oh it's freezing out, can't wait till it warms up!" It never ends. We talk about humidity, sleet, rain, fog, the scorching sun, freezing rain, impending snow storms...it's endless! If a storm is predicted enter any supermarket and you'll find people buying supplies as if a famine is about to occur with the idea they'll be housebound for months...even when they live three blocks away. It's getting to the point of ridiculousness and instead of complaininig about the heat I guess you could say I'm complaining about people complaining about the weather!

Heightened Alert I

Acrylic on board, 30 x 30


Speaking about the weather, we would like to introduce the work of Michelle Manley. Her paintings are inspired by environmental phenomena that are both socially troubling and aesthetically sublime. Her severe storms and crashing waves address the concept of 'force' and 'clashes with nature' and illustrate the alteration of weather systems, bodies of water, and land as a result of human agency and waste. She often evokes the form of human anatomy to question and obscure the physcial boundaries between corporeal tissue and the elements, in order to emphasize the inevitable symbiosis of the material products of civilization and the biological makeup of the entire terrestrial ecosystem. View more of her paintings HERE.





Severence
48"W x 36"H
Acrylic on Board, 2008

No comments: