Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash



Lent? Better question____why not Lent? It's been observed for over 2000 years...a forty day period of fasting, prayer and giving to the poor which concludes by the celebration of the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus. "J" the man himself prayed, fasted and called on us to die to ourselves asking us to pick up and carry our cross...and we all have some 'cross' to carry in some shape or form___ large or small it can get pretty heavy at times.



I prefer not to focus on 'sin' during this period, but I very much welcome the 40 days to reflect on how I've been living a Christian life and that does include praying/meditating, giving more and allowing myself to be taken out of my comfort zone. Practiced all year but seemingly more pronounced during the Lenten season I ask the Great Spirit to speak to me through fasting and meditating. Today I'll receive ashes on my forehead and hear the words, "Remember, O Man, that you are from dust and to dust you shall return," remembering my own mortality and need for ongoing strengthening of being______after all, it is from ashes we came and to ashes we shall return.