Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Corn, corn, corn and one flying cutie!

I learned a valuable lesson the other day that I'll share with you hoping you'll learn from my mistake. A rather peaceful day in the country turned into panic. I parked my truck near the edge of a cornfield because I wanted to practice shooting the tops of corn with the blue sky highlighting the lush green colour. Setting my tripod up on unlevel ground was challenge enough. With each adjustment, the tilt went from bad to good then good to really bad. After much fenagling I decideded to forfeit the TP and use the camera on it's own. With the tripod back in the truck I proceeded to start snapping....free hand.
Trying to line up a good horizontal shot amid the dark blue sky I noticed a cute little flying insect resembling a dragon fly. I got all excited and started snapping, but he kept flying away. His transparent wings are what really fascinated me! I thought if I could get in close and capture the tissue- like veining it would make for a superb picture! Well this little flyer wasn't going to make it easy. Each time I thought he'd sit still - ZZooom, off he'd go. I was determined so I kept following him. This went on for awhile until I realized I couldn't see my truck. I was in the thick of the field chasing some bug. It's a scary feeling. No higher ground either, but I didn't panic. Instead I tried jumping in the air as high as I could to see if I could see the top of the truck. Ahh, yes! There it was. Enlarge and enjoy the pictures...that's the cute little flying bugger!



Helpful Hints
*Always take your cell with you.
**Tie a rope to the truck then to your waist before entering a corn field!
***Take a friend.

No comments: